WordPress is an open source Content Management System (CMS), often used as a blog publishing application, powered by PHP and MySQL. WordPress is both free and priceless at the same time. It has many features including a plug-in architecture and a template system. The core software is built by hundreds of community volunteers, and there are thousands of plugins and themes available to transform your site into almost anything you can imagine. Over 25 million people have chosen WordPress to power the place on the web.
This technical post on WordPress Installing on Windows will help a newbie to installing WordPress on WAMP server.
Here is the steps,
1. Installing WAMP server. Download and install latest version of Wamp server 2.0. Then run (Left click on your wamp icon in the task bar and click Put online) it on your system.(Please exit skype if you have entered because skype & wamp server are using same port. You can run skype after wamp server shows online status).
2. Download the latest version of wordpress.zip file.
3. Extract wordpress.zip file. Copy and paste WordPress (or folder name) folder in to www directory of the wamp server.
4. Create a database. For install WordPress on wamp server you must make a database at your WAMP server’s phpmyadmin [Left click on your wamp icon in the task bar and click on the phpmyadmin] interface.
Write down the database name, user name, and password as you will need these later.
a) Create a new MySQL database user:
Phpmyadmin -> Privileges-> Add new user->
Enter your desired username,select localhost, enter password, then check all privileges -> click on Go.
b) Create a new Database for WordPress:
Localhost -> Databases-> Create new database -> Enter Database name –> Create.
c) Add MySQL database user into new Database:
Server: localhost -> Privileges -> Select username -> Click on Edit privileges ->
Go to Database-specific privileges section on the new page -> Select your Database name from the user text field drop down -> The page will refresh, check the entered username and database name.
Then Check all privileges -> Go. Close Phpmyadmin.
5. Now enter http://localhost/wordpress(or folder name) on your browser. And move through the steps by clicking create a configuration file and let’s go. Then please enter your Database Name, MySQL username and MySQL password which is created on steps 4. And click on Submit.
Open C:\wamp\www\wordpress\wp-config-sample.php and edit your MySQL username, MySQL password, Database Name. Save and rename the file into wp-config.php.
6. Enter the Site title (you can change it later), Dashboard username ( usually admin ), Dashboard password (twice) and your e-mail id, then click on Install wordpress and you are done.
7. WordPress blog URL : http://localhost/wordpress
WordPress dashboard URL : http://localhost/wordpress/wp-admin/
Permalink Custom Settings
The permalink settings change from default to custom like “/%postname%/”is not working on localhost WAMPserver for some latest versions of WordPress . To correct this problem, ensure that you are loaded apache ‘rewrite_module’ by click on the WAMPserver tray icon>Apache>Apache modules> Scroll down the list of available modules and clcik on ‘rewrite_module‘. The Apache server would be restarted automatically. Now you can change the permalinks.