Microsoft Windows XP users may occurred lot of problems with viruses which infect computers through autorun.inf file. One of the mammoth reason of virus infection is that the autorun autoplay is enabled on the windows drives by default. This also leads to some problems are listed below,
- Hidden files and folders are not visible. If it is enabled.
- Cannot open pen drive or even not able to format it.
- Cannot open hard disk drives, drives open in a new window.
- Double click on hard disk drives gives error message or opens ‘open with’ window.
We need to stop windows from executing associated instructions in autorun.inf files
Here is the steps to deal this problem,
1. Open Registry Editor. Go to command prompt, use button Windows+R, then type regedit.exe and press Enter. Or Go through START > RUN > type regedit.exe > Enter.
2. Navigate through the following path: HKEY_CURRENT_USER > Software > Microsoft > Windows > Current Version > Policies > Explorer
3. Double-click the NoDriveTypeAutoRun registry key and type the value in Hexadecimal as FF (or 255 in Decimal).
Note: If there is no NoDriveTypeAutoRun registry key, just create it by right-clicking the right side area of the regedit window, then select New > DWORD Value > Type NoDriveTypeAutoRun and press enter.
4. Exit Registry Editor and please Restart your system for changes to come into effect.
Before hitting COMMENT button, please fill * marked fields and the correct reCAPTCHA response.